The thing about starting your own business is that you need to convince people to give you their money!! Cold calling is hell for me. It got a little easier after the 6th or 7th call this morning, but I still HATE it. I'm not really a phone person in general, and calling someone I don't know like a telemarketer (I mean what other profession besides being a paparazzi creates so much disdain?) just isn't my gig. Plus, some people are just plain rude!! But as my grandma always would say, "tough titties"...so I guess I'll keep truckin' ;) On the bright side, out of about 20 total calls, about 6 appeared interested and I emailed them a follow up!!!
Speaking of those follow up e-mails, I think I can officially diagnose myself as having OCD. Yup, that's right. Exhibit 1: Those 6 emails took me 2 HOURS to write and send! I had to read, re-read, re-read, edit, re-read and send EACH ONE! Luckily the first one was more or less a template for all the rest, although on one I forgot to change the name, so instead of Katie getting her email, she got one that said "Hi Judy"...d'oh and FML! Exhibit 2: I always freak out thinking that I left the oven, iron or some other electrical device on that will burn down my whole apartment building with my cat in it. I have literally taken cabs a half hour back home just to check - so far my fears have been unfounded. Is that normal? I highly doubt it.
In other Lango news, we're holding our first group interviews next Wednesday in Central Park. Cross your fingers it doesn't rain!! Then Elena and I are hitting the town dressed as Cosmo the dog to get attention. Don't worry, pictures will most definitely be taken and posted promptly!!
Haha... You're too cute! I totally understand cold-call/follow-up drama. Darren and I are running our own home-based business and we've had to do follow-up from trade shows and it TOTALLY TOTALLY sucks! :oP The awkwardness. But, when you have a great product and mission-- no biggie. Don't get choked over the whole ordeal. I just wanted to use choked for you in a sentence. Can't wait to see pics!
ReplyDeletePS- I'm as OCD as you! I call Darren and leave him messages, and make him drive back to the house to make sure that I've unplugged things (when I'm at work and can't leave). If we're crazy, at least we're crazy together!
ReplyDeletehaha - glad to know i'm not alone on the crazy train!! and i LOVED that you used the word chocked...just wait til it gets colder and i'll be using the word "took" every other sentence!
ReplyDeleteps - what kind of business?? maybe you should blog about it ;)